Beets are a power food: they are anti-inflammatory, can help detox your blood and liver and are immune boosting. My CSA share this included beets, cucumber and spring onion, so I’ve made an easy beet soup!
This soup comes together quickly because you grate the beets before you cook them. I used a food processor which is less messy and much quicker than using a hand grater.
- 3 medium beets, approx. 1 lb., peeled and grated
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped spring onion
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Place the beets in a pan and cover with water
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 10 minutes until tender
- Drain the beets, and save a cup or more of the cooking liquid
- Blend the beets, cucumber and spring onion in a blender or food processor. Add approximately 1 cup of cooking liquid to bring the soup to a desired consistency.
- Add the vinegar and 1/2 tsp of salt and blend again to mix.
- Let it come to room temperature, and then refrigerate the soup until cold.
- Add more salt – and pepper – to taste.
- Garnish as you like; options include dill, yogurt, chopped cucumber, chopped dill pickles, boiled potatoes