Ladies, listen up. It’s a fact. Infertility is stressful. Rates of anxiety and depression in women with infertility are as high as rates in women with HIV or Cancer Yikes – that is HUGE!
I’m not going to tell you to just relax. But I am going to tell you to breathe. Deep breathing is a simple form of meditation. It gives your mind a break, provides balance and clarity and helps relieve stress.
Soft Belly Breathing
This exercise will help you be more present and relaxed.
- Lay down with your knees bent (making this a great way to start the day), or sit upright.
- Relax your shoulders.
- Place your hands on your belly, with your thumbs at your belly button.
- Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose, allowing your belly to expand. Notice your hands rising with your belly.
- Exhale slowly through your nose or mouth (whichever is more comfortable) and contract your belly towards your spine. Your hands will settle with your belly.
- Repeat the slow inhale and exhale five times.
This is a relaxing exercise.
- Sit upright and relax your shoulders.
- Exhale fully through your mouth, making a “whoosh” sound.
- Inhale quietly through your nose to a count of four.
- Hold your breath to a count of seven.
- Exhale fully through your mouth, making a “whoosh” sound, to a count of eight.
- Repeat the 4-7-8 pattern three more times, for a total of four breaths.
My clients practice deep breathing before they get out of bed in the morning, before a procedure or a doctor’s appointment, before a fertility drug injection or before a meal. Sometimes we start our coaching sessions with a deep breathing exercise.
You can get a handle on your stress. I can help. Contact me here.