When I was dealing with infertility, I certainly wasn’t feeling festive or celebratory as the holidays approached. In fact, I dreaded a few things:
- The inevitable question, “When are you having children?”
- Spending time with a pregnant sister, cousin or friend
- Feeling like I had to explain why I wasn’t having a glass of wine
Some coping strategies for you:
- Plan out one or two responses to questions you might get. A simple, “You’ll be the first to know,” worked for me. And remember, it’s up to you if you want to share what you’re going through.
- Consider opting out of gatherings that include pregnant women. Maybe this year you
- will do your own thing: binge watch Netflix, a quiet dinner – at home or out, a day trip or overnight getaway…
- Have a mocktail. I’ve been known to mix up a batch of something that tastes great without alcohol and bring it to a gathering. No one will know whether yours is spiked.
p.s. If you’re looking to be deeply supported on your fertility journey, schedule a call. I’d be honored to talk with you.