It’s that late night ice cream craving. Or the mid-day run to Dunkin’ Donuts to get a jelly-filled donut. And your favorite fruity “nutritional” water you always have stashed in your purse.
Sound familiar? If so, you’re DEFINITELY not alone.
When you’re stressed (which is actually one of the #1 side effects of infertility that nobody is talking about) your body craves the quickest form of energy available … sugar.
Why? Simply put, sugar is a simple carb that is the most readily available source of energy for your body.
The problem is, these sugary foods and drinks spike blood sugar and your insulin levels which can mess with your reproductive hormones.
Good news is, I have some tips for you so you can FINALLY say bye-bye to these cravings (that deep down you wish you didn’t have):
- Drink water. Sugar cravings can actually be a sign of dehydration (did you know?!).
- Exercise, dance or take a walk. Being active helps you reduce tension and balance blood sugar levels…plus, it’s fun, and who says the fertility journey can’t be fun?
- Crowd out sugar cravings by eating naturally sweet fruits and veggies (hello, blueberries!).
- Get enough sleep and reduce stress so you’ll have more energy which reduces cravings (Circle & Bloom and Insight Timer are two great apps for meditation & sleep that I recommend).
- Find sweetness outside of food. Cravings usually have a psychological component, so tap into what you might ACTUALLY be craving emotionally.