There are 4 major causes of stress, according to Dr. Gabor Mate.
- Lack of control
- Emotional isolation
- Inability to express emotion
If you’re trying to conceive, my hunch is 1-3 might feel pretty familiar to you.
When stress manifests as muscle tension and sensations of tightness in your body, these techniques will help tension and stress dissipate and you will feel more grounded:
- Sit quietly for 3-5 minutes, and focus your attention on things outside your body, such as: I’m aware of the sun outside my window; I’m aware of the sound of traffic outside; I’m aware of the smell of my tea; etc.
- Once you’ve taken a full inventory of what’s happening around you, focus inward to physical sensations: I’m aware that my shoulders are tight; I’m aware that I am cold; I’m aware that my stomach is grumbling; etc.
- Shift your focus back and forth between the external and internal to really tune into how you’re feeling and where you’re finding tension.
- Breathe in deeply through your nose and exhale fully through your mouth.
- Starting at the top of your head, gently and slowly start to scan down your body, noticing what feels comfortable and what feels uncomfortable.
- Start to scan down every part of your body, breathing into it:
- Your head
- Your eyes
- Your jaw
- Your neck
- Your shoulders …
- All the way down to your toes.
- Notice how your body feels, the physical sensations. No judgement. Just noticing.
- Keep going until you get to your toes.
- Take one last deep breath in and out.
I hope this helps.